This Eggplant Spread is a great appetizer before dinner and an excellent snack.
This Eggplant Spread is a great appetizer before dinner and an excellent snack. You can serve it as a dip with vegetables or crackers. Alternatively, enjoy it on a piece of toast made with Black Bread toast, White Bread, or Nutty Bread.
Health Benefits Of Eggplant
- Eggplant is high in flavonoids which stimulate bile production, needed for fat digestion. They also improve blood lipids, reduce lipid oxidation and, thus, support overall cardiovascular health.
- Eggplant also contains antioxidants that are liver protective, and fortunately cooking doesn’t reduce their benefits.
- Due to its high fiber and phenolic content, eggplant can help regulate high blood sugar and Type 2 diabetes associated high blood pressure.
One word of caution is that eggplant belongs to the Nightshade family along with potatoes, tomatoes and pepper. In some people these plants might cause an inflammatory reaction. For example, there is a connection between nightshades and arthritis. So people with joint pain might want to eliminate these foods from their diet for several weeks to see if symptoms improve.
Health Benefits Of Garlic
Garlic is my absolute favorite spice! I love it for both its flavor and hundreds of health benefits.
- Garlic’s antibacterial properties are so powerful that it has been scientifically proven to treat multi-drug resistant tuberculosis. It’s also effective against many types of parasites, viruses and fungal infections. I encourage you to eat garlic everyday!
- It contains alliin which gets converted into allicin. Allicin is a very potent anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, antioxidant, anti-thrombotic compound. It also exhibits heart protective and blood-pressure reducing qualities. To convert alliin into allicin, garlic should be minced and exposed to air for about 10 minutes.
Zesty Eggplant Spread
1 large eggplant
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tsp powdered coriander
2 Tbsp unfiltered extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp chia seeds
salt and pepper to taste
Black sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Roast eggplant under a broiler or on a grill for about 30 minutes, until soft. Turn it a couple of times during cooking. Let cool completely and peel the skin off. The skin should come off very easily.
- In a food processor, combine the eggplant, garlic, coriander, olive oil, chia seeds, salt, and pepper and pulse together.
- Poor the spread into a bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes to thicken a bit before serving. Serve with Black Bread, White Bread, or Nutty Bread.