- Eggplant’s flavonoids stimulate bile production, needed for fat digestion, and to improve blood lipids, reduce lipid oxidation and, thus, support overall cardiovascular health.
- Eggplant also contains antioxidants that are liver protective, and these antioxidants seem to improve with cooking.
- Due to its high fiber and phenolic content, eggplant can help regulate high blood sugar and Type 2 diabetes associated high blood pressure.
One word of caution is that eggplant belongs to the Nightshade family along with potatoes, tomatoes and pepper. In some people these foods might cause an inflammatory reaction. There is a correlation between consumption of nightshades and arthritis, so people with joint pain should try to eliminate these foods from their diet for several weeks to see if symptoms improve.
Garlic is my absolute favorite spice. I love it for its flavor and hundreds of health benefits. Overuse of antibiotics led to the development of many drug-resistant bacteria. Unfortunately, many people have lost their lives as a result.
- Garlic’s antibacterial properties are so powerful that it has been scientifically proven to treat multi-drug resistant tuberculosis. It’s also effective against many types of parasites, viruses and fungal infections. I encourage you to eat garlic everyday!
- It contain alliin which gets converted into allicin, a very potent anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, antioxidant, anti-thrombotic compound that also exhibits heart protective and blood-pressure reducing qualities. To convert alliin into allicin, garlic should be exposed to air.
- Mince it and leave it to interact with the air for about 10 minutes.
Zesty Eggplant Spread
1 large eggplant
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp powdered coriander
2 Tbsp unfiltered extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp chia seeds
salt and pepper to taste
Black sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Roast eggplant under a broiler or on a grill for about 30 minutes, until soft. Turn it a couple of times during cooking. Let cool completely and peel the skin off. The skin should come off very easily.
- In a food processor, combine the eggplant, garlic, coriander, olive oil, chia seeds, salt, and pepper and pulse together.
- Poor the spread into a bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes to thicken a bit before serving. Serve with Black Bread, White Bread, or Nutty Bread.