This granola is gluten-free, nut-free and dairy free and is still delicious and highly nutritious.
There is plenty of gluten-free granola available on the market. Here are 3 reasons why you want to make your own:
- You get to chose your favorite nuts, seeds and dried fruits and avoid the ones you are sensitive to or dislike
- You can use high quality fat like butter and coconut oil instead of pro-inflammatory canola or vegetable oil
- Significantly lower cost
Health Benefits Of Oats
Oats are a great example of food as medicine.We have traditionally used them as a restorative “tonic” to reduce fatigue, improve nerve function, and strengthen the muscles. They are an excellent nutritious food that can be used to support recovery after an illness or exhaustion. Oats seem to be particularly beneficial for nervous and digestive systems. They are very rich in minerals needed for healthy bones, hair, skin and nails, and they are also rich in fiber and protein. Proteins in oats don’t contain gluten but due to crop rotations with wheat, oats are usually contaminated with gluten. If gluten sensitivity is one of your issues please use oats that are labeled gluten-free.
Hearty Gluten Free Granola
7 cups rolled oats, gluten-free
2 cups of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, walnut pieces, almond slivers, etc.)
1 cup coconut slices, unsweetened
½ cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter if tolerated), melted
3-4 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 cup raisins or other dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a big mixing bowl combine the oats, nuts, coconut slices, and sesame seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix together coconut oil (or butter) and honey (or maple syrup).
- Pour the oil and honey mixture over the oats and seeds and mix well to incorporate.
- Spread evenly onto two baking sheets and place in the oven for 20 minutes. I recommend taking the sheets out at 10 minutes and mixing the oats and seeds so that they will be more evenly baked.
- Take the sheets out when the oats turn slightly golden. Let cool. Store in a covered glass container.
- Serve with fresh berries or other seasonal fruit, and yogurt, milk or milk substitute. Enjoy!