This desert is wonderful on a hot summer day. It will cool you down and keep you hydrated.
- Watermelon – so delicious and sweet – actually has less sugar than an apple, gram for gram. In about 150 grams (1 cup, diced) of watermelon there is only 9 grams of sugar while a small apple (about 150g) has 15 grams of sugar.
- Watermelon is a great source of lycopene, even better than tomatoes. Lycopene is a phytonutrient that supports cardiovascular health, protects our skin from UV rays and fights free radicals – dangerous byproducts of metabolism. It gives watermelon its pink color, so the brighter the color the more lycopene it contains.
- Watermelon is rich in carotenoids, which are precursors for vitamin A and are powerful anti-oxidants that protect us from cancer and other degenerative diseases.
- It also offers us high amounts of vitamin C.
- Eating watermelon before and after a hard workout might help reduce muscle soreness. This effect is attributed to an amino acid, L-citrulline, which is abundant in watermelon. That same amino acid helps relax the smooth muscle found in blood vessels, promoting better circulation and lower blood pressure.
I use mint leaves in this recipe because of their additional cooling effect and nice flavor. Mint is a well-known digestive aid that can calm an upset stomach and help with excess gas and cramping. You can try adding other herbs if you have an herbal garden. Try melissa or lavender for a relaxing, calming, aromatic effect.
4 cups fresh watermelon
1 cup water
½ cup cane sugar
1 bunch mint leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
- Combine water, mint leaves and sugar together in a small pot and bring to a boil. Turn off and let cool to room temperature. Strain the mint leaves, reserve the syrup.
- Cut watermelon into pieces and add them to a blender. Add lemon juice and syrup and blend together.
- You can use popsicle molds to make popsicles. Pour the mixture into molds and put into freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Or you can use an ice cream maker to make sorbet. Pour the mixture into ice cream maker and follow the instructions for your machine.
- Enjoy on a hot summer day!