This is a wonderful recipe if you are new to fermentation. It’s easy to make and the taste is very mild. Many fermented vegetables have a well pronounced sour taste that some people don’t find appealing. The sweetness of the carrots complements very well the acidity of fermentation making the dish delicious.
- Carrots are rich in manganese, potassium, vitamin K and C.
- They are an excellent source of fiber and carotenoids, especially beta-carotenes.
Beta-carotenes are sometimes confused with vitamin A and although they have some vitamin A activity it takes 13 enzymatic reactions to convert the beta-carotenes to the real vitamin A. With this many steps involved, there is no guarantee that beta-carotenes actually get transformed into vitamin A every time, so it’s more effective to get your vitamin A from animal sources like chicken or beef liver (chicken liver pate) or Cod liver oil.
- Carotenes provide us protection against many types of cancer, including breast, lung, coon, bladder and others. Carotenoids might improve sensitivity of our cells to insulin, improving blood-sugar regulation.
- Ginger has a strong pungent taste and stimulates our circulatory and digestive systems.
- It can be helpful if you are congested from a cold or a flu.
- Ginger can reduce nausea from motion sickness, chemotherapy and even morning sickness.
- It has strong anti-inflammatory properties and might help support join health.
- Ginger also has antiseptic qualities and can be helpful with digestive infections.
Please read on importance of eating fermented foods and why they are good for us.
Pickled Carrots with Ginger
Inspired by Sally Fallon
4-5 carrots, peeled and grated
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
1 ½ tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp whey (if not available double the salt)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them well with your hands, squeezing the juices out of the carrots for 1-2 minutes.
- Pack the carrots tightly into a pint glass jar, cover with a lid and let stand at room temperature for 3-4 days (the colder the temperature the longer it’s going to take to ferment).
- Transfer to the fridge. Enjoy with meat and rich dishes like Pork Shoulder, Meatloaf, Stuffed Potato Pancakes.