Broccoli and Shrimp in Coconut Sauce is a one pot dish with an Asian flare.
Broccoli and shrimp in coconut sauce is a one pot dish with an Asian flare. Because it is very low on carbohydrate content, it is perfect for people with blood sugar issues. It is also helpful for those trying to loose weight. Like most stir fries it takes practically no time to cook. However, prepping might take a minute! So invite someone to help you chop up the vegetables and have fun with it!
Health Benefits Of Recipe Ingredients
Shrimp in this recipe provides you with high quality protein. Broccoli and onion support detoxification pathways and together with spices – turmeric, garlic and ginger – boost your defenses against inflammation, cancer and infections. Most spices in this recipe are of warming character. Because of that they stimulate digestion and increase circulation. They also enhance the immune system function and promote systemic cleansing through the skin. You can read more on ginger and garlic benefits.
Broccoli and Shrimp in Coconut Sauce
1 ½ -2 lb peeled wild shrimp
2 big broccoli heads
1 red bell pepper, sliced
½ lb cherry tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
Small piece fresh ginger (about 1 inch), peeled and minced
1 tsp cayenne pepper flakes (optional)
2-3 Tbsp coconut oil
1 can coconut milk
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2-3 Tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)
- Break broccoli into florets, peel and cut the stems into 1 inch pieces.
- In a wok or a big skillet warm up the oil over high heat, add cumin seeds and stir-fry them for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp in batches to avoid overcrowding the skillet, stir-frying for 3-4 minutes or until the shrimp turns opaque. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add more oil if needed, and add onions, turmeric, ginger and cayenne pepper, if using. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bring to a boil, constantly stirring. Then, add broccoli and red pepper, cover with a lid, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for about 5-7 minutes more.
- Add cherry tomatoes and shrimp to the vegetables and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Mix in garlic, black sesame seeds and cilantro, and turn off.
- Serve by itself or with rice. Enjoy!