Coconut and Hemp Chill Bars – Your Miniature power Plants - Gluten free, nut free, dairy free
These coconut and hemp chill bars are miniature power plants! They will satisfy your appetite and keep your hunger in check. You can snack on them or add them to your breakfast to help avoid those nasty mid-morning or mid-afternoon crashes.
The main two ingredients are pumpkin seeds and coconut flesh. Coconut meat is an excellent source of manganese, a mineral needed for blood sugar regulation, growth and reproduction. Pumpkin seeds are loaded with zinc and iron, as well as mono – and polyunsaturated fatty acids. For that reason they are fairly fragile and can get oxidized pretty quickly especially if they are shelled. Be sure to smell your seeds before using to make sure they haven’t gone rancid.
Health Benefits Of Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are a great source of selenium – a mineral that serves as an antioxidant in the body. Hemp seeds are very high in magnesium, a mineral that participates in about 300 enzymatic reactions in the body. According to recent statistics, 50-75% of Americans are deficient in magnesium. All seeds are high in protein, fiber and fat and low on carbs and for that reason my chill bars are an ideal food for people with blood sugar issues.
Because there is no heat involved in “baking” these bars, all the ingredients that are sensitive to heat keep their healing qualities. Read more on health benefits of chill baking here.
Coconut and Hemp Chill Bars
- In a food processor pulse pumpkin seeds until coarsely chopped.
- Add shredded coconut, hemp hearts, cranberries and sesame seeds and mix together.
- Add coconut oil and honey and combine together. (Quick Tip: If you use the same spoon for oil and then for honey, the honey will slide right off the spoon instead of sticking to it.)
- Place the mixture into a square/rectangular dish (approximately 8×5 or 6×6), you can line it with parchment paper to make it easier to take the bars out.
- Spread the mixture evenly, flatten and press down on it with your palm or the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Place in the fridge for an hour or so.
- When it hardens cut with a knife into 1×2 inch pieces and enjoy.