Honey and Onion Syrup to Cure Cough Naturally
Honey and Onion Syrup is a safe, effective, and tasty cough cure that even your kids will love. The syrup is soothing for the irritated throat. It has antibacterial and antiviral qualities. In addition, it thins the mucus and makes it easier to cough and expel stuff out of your respiratory tract.
The recipe is simple and takes no time to make. And all you need are two common ingredients – honey and onion. You most likely already have them in your kitchen.
To speed up the recovery, I also recommend using Elderberry Syrup.
Health Benefits Of Raw Honey
- Honey is rich in minerals, enzymes, several B vitamins, prebiotics, and antioxidants.
- It has strong antibacterial properties and has served humans as food and medicine for millennia.
- You can use it topically to treat minor burns and cuts and heal wounds.
- Honey reduces irritation in the throat and on the skin.
- Pollen and propolis are what makes honey so medicinal. By the way, propolis is the sticky resin from trees that bees use to protect their hives. And propolis is a powerful antibiotic, antifungal, and antiviral. While bees use it to protect their homes, we eat honey to support our health.
- Raw honey should never be heated above 118F if we want to preserve its medicinal quality.
Health Benefits Of Onion
Onions have volatile oils that contain sulfur. While these oils give onion its pungent taste and smell, they are also medicinal. Because they quickly disperse throughout the body, they come in contact with microorganisms like bacteria. Then they penetrate these organisms and interfere with their functioning. In addition, sulfur compounds can also stimulate white blood cell production. These immune system cells provide our body’s own defense and protection.
Alliin is another essential compound in the onion. When we slice the onion and expose alliins to air, they get activated and converted into allicin. Allicin is a potent antimicrobial – the quality that is important for us when dealing with respiratory infections.
Honey and Onion Syrup for Cough
1 big onion, thinly sliced
1-2 Tbsp raw honey
- Place onion into a jar or a bowl.
- Add honey and mix well, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and let infuse for 30-60 minutes at room temperature.
- Move the onion slices to the side or press down with a spoon. There will be plenty of juice.
- Take 1 tsp every couple hours for a younger child and 1 Tbsp for an older child and adults. DO NOT give raw honey to babies less than 1-year-old.