This refreshing and light desert is excellent on a hot summer day or as a finishing touch for a high protein meal.
- Rhubarb is very high in vitamin K needed for bone health and for blood coagulation.
- It provides good amounts of vitamin C, an antioxidant and immune system booster.
- Rhubarb is also a good source of calcium and manganese.
- Rhubarb has been found beneficial for digestion by stimulating peristalsis – the movement of the intestines, easing constipation and bloating.
- It seems to be helpful after overeating a high protein meal. Rhubarb contains tannins, the astringent substances that tighten tissues, bind to proteins and give the puckering effect in your mouth!
A Word of Caution
Rhubarb stocks are fairly high in oxalic acid (leaves should never be eaten). Oxalic acid binds to calcium in the intestine, making calcium unavailable for our body. It is also thought to contribute to kidney stone formation, so people with kidney issues need to be mindful about eating rhubarb. Oxalic acid is not all bad for our health as our body actually needs it and can make it from ascorbic acid (vitamin C). It’s important for colon health.
Rhubarb-Strawberry Crumble, Gluten-Free
4 cups rhubarb (about 1 ½ lb), cut into ½ inch pieces
2 cup strawberries, chopped
1 cup cane sugar
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
2 cups gluten free rolled oats
½ cup butter, cold, cut into ½ inch cubes
1/3 cup maple syrup
½ chopped walnuts (or substitute pumpkin seeds if sensitive to nuts)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In an oven-safe glass or ceramic baking dish (approx. 8”x12”) mix the fruit pieces with sugar and arrowroot powder. Incorporate well. Spread to cover the dish evenly.
- Place oats and pumpkin seeds or walnuts in the food processor and pulse for a couple of seconds to chop into smaller pieces. Add butter cubes and syrup and pulse some more to make the crumble mixture.
- Spread the crumble evenly over the fruit and place into the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- When the fruit is bubbling over on the sides and the crumble turns golden, remove from the oven.
- Let cool and serve.