This sweet and creamy sauce is a replacement for sauces made with dairy. If you are on a dairy-free diet this sauce is an excellent way to substitute your favorite dairy sauces and not feel deprived of the foods you love.
- Cashews are the best nuts for creating a creamy consistancy as they are soft and not too oily, in fact, they contain lower amount of fat than most other nuts.
- Because raw cashews are hard to digest and because their out shell is toxic it’s best to soak them and rinse really well before eating.
- Cashews are rich in iron, zinc, copper, magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus.
- They also have a fairly high amount of protein (5 g of protein in 1 ounce of nuts) with an excellent amino acid composition, all essential amino acids are there. Cashews and pistachio are the only nuts with a complete amino acid profile.
So Creamy Sauce, Dairy-Free
1 cup cashew nuts, soaked
1 cup water
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
1 garlic clove
1 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves (optional)
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Soak the nuts for 2-4 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Place the nuts and water in the high power blender like Vitamix and blend together until smooth. Add more water a little bit at a time if you wish your sauce to have a more fluid consistency.