This tomato sauce goes well with grilled fish and seafood. It has a slightly sour taste that will stimulate your appetite.
This tomato sauce goes well with grilled fish and seafood. It has a slightly sour taste that will stimulate your appetite. It may even help you to get your kids to eat the fish you really want them to eat! You can make it in advance and warm up before serving.
Health Benefits Of Tomatoes
- Tomatoes are rich in beta-carotenes, vitamin C, potassium.
- Another important compound found in tomatoes is lycopene. It’s a potent antioxidant and has recently gained a lot of attention from researchers. As a result, we now know that it has anti-inflammatory and heart protective properties. However, most of the research suggests that eating the whole tomato is more effective than supplementing with lycopene. Interestingly, lycopene is also one of the rare compounds that improves with cooking.
- Tomatoes also have a protective effect against many types of cancer.
- The tomato belongs to the nightshade family together with eggplants, potatoes, and peppers. Unfortunately, the nightshade family has been implicated in contributing to autoimmune disorders, arthritis in particular. If you experience joint pain you might want to try taking these foods out of your diet for several weeks to see if your symptoms improve.
Health Benefits Of Basil
- Basil acts primarily on the digestive and nervous systems.
- It releases gas and cramps, prevents and alleviates nausea and vomiting.
- It’s also helpful with symptoms that might be called “nervous stomach” or “butterflies in the stomach”, irritability and fatigue.
- In this recipe we use basil for flavoring; to benefit from the medicinal effects that basil or any herb has you’ll need to use it in a much higher dose.
Tangy Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tomatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan over low heat warm up the oil and sauté the shallot and the garlic for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the lemon juice and basil. Adjust the seasoning and serve warm.