Zucchini layered with super nutritious and flavorful pesto is a great combination.
- Zucchini is a good source of antioxidants, not so much the alpha- and beta-carotenes, but of the more rare type like lutein and zeaxanthin.
- These antioxidants provide protection to the eyes, including against age-related macula degeneration.
- Zucchini is high in vitamin C, manganese, magnesium and copper.
- Seeds of summer squashes like zucchini also support good prostate health.
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
- Slice zucchini into thin strips lengthwise, about ¼ inch thick.
- In a big skillet or frying pan warm up the oil over medium heat. Sauté zucchini slices in batches for a couple of minutes on both sides until pliable but not too soft. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Take about a half of a teaspoon of pesto and spread it on a zucchini slice, roll it up and pin it with a toothpick. Transfer to a clean platter or serving dish. Continue with the rest of zucchini slices. Excellent served as a warm appetizer or as a side dish for a larger meal.