I made this classic Leek and potato soup with a twist: no dairy but extra spice.
This Anti-inflammatory Leek and Potato Soup came out delicious! In my opinion, the key to a successful soup puree is to keep it pretty thick. I usually add enough liquid to the pot to cover the vegetables. If it comes out too thick, you can always thin it out later. So keep some water or broth in reserve if you need it later. If your soup does turn out a bit too watery, you can always add a bit of flaxseed meal to thicken it.
Health Benefits Of Leeks
- Leeks are members of the onion family. And, like garlic and onion, they have sulfur compounds that give us health benefits.
- Allicin, one of these sulfur compounds, neutralizes free radicals. Hence, it makes leeks are a potent anti-inflammatory food. Allicin also protects us against viruses, cancer and supports heart health.
- Leeks are high in inulin, a soluble fiber that benefits our colon health. It is nourishing for beneficial bacteria while inhibiting some pathogenic bacteria.
- Most recipes ask for the soft white part of leeks, this recipe included. I don’t particularly appreciate wasting any food and usually save the green upperparts for my broths (chicken broth).
Health Benefits Of Turmeric
Turmeric is not traditionally on the ingredient list for this recipe. I used turmeric to add a bit of color and its excellent health benefits that include:
- Turmeric can alleviate respiratory and digestive complaints, as well as arthritic aches and pains.
- It’s a powerful anti-inflammatory herb, a cancer fighter, and a preventer.
- To increase turmeric absorption, eat it together with black pepper. This way health benefits of turmeric will work in the whole body and not only your digestive tract.
Anti-inflammatory Leek and Potato Soup
2-3 Tbsp olive oil or butter if dairy is not a problem
2 lb leeks, white part only
1.5 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
2 quarts chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
chives to garnish
- Cut leeks lengthwise, so they are easier to clean – there is usually a lot of dirt at the top of several upper leaves. Cut across the grain into ¼ inch strips.
- In a pot over medium to low heat, warm up the oil, add the leeks and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes and add them to the pot. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and the spices, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are done. It should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve.
Freedom from hunger and cravings until lunch
Please tell me where I should send the recipe book.