If you are not used to eating fermented foods Beet Kvas might be the best recipe for you to start with.
If you are not used to eating fermented foods Beet Kvas might be the best recipe for you to start with. Beets have sweet flavor and complement well the sour taste that comes with fermentation.
Most of the Kvas is liquid and can be taken by tea or table spoonfuls or added to soups or smoothies. Start with small amounts and slowly increase your intake until you can drink 1/4 to 1/2 glass of Kvas a day. To learn more about the benefits of fermented foods read my article on fermentation.
Beets Health Benefits
- Beets are high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- The phytonutrients in the beets which give them their beautiful color also enhance detoxification and support liver functioning.
- They promote cardiovascular health by reducing blood pressure, improving vascular health and circulation, and reducing inflammation.
- The four benefits listed above contribute to what many traditional medical systems including Chinese, Ancient Greek and Ayurveda observed as blood building and blood purifying qualities of beets.
- They are rich in vitamins (C and folate), trace minerals like silicon and manganese, and fiber.
- Lacto-fermented beets supply beneficial bacteria to our digestive tract, promoting regularity and overall digestive health. The process of fermentation also increases the amount of vitamins already generously present in beets. Beet kvas is an excellent tonic with an alkalizing effect on the blood.
Blood Building Beet Kvass
2-3 big beets, peeled and cubed
2 quarts cold filtered water
1 Tbsp celtic salt
¼ cup whey (or replace with additional 1 Tbsp salt)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp dill seeds, mustard seeds (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar with an air tight lid, close the lid.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 3-5 days. Depending on your room temperature it might take longer or sooner for the kvas to be ready. You can always open and taste. It should taste slightly salty and sour at the same time, with no bad smell.
- Transfer to the fridge and drink a little bit at a time. Start with a teaspoon, then gradually increase the amount you drink every day. Kvas will keep in the fridge for a long time.
- When the liquid is gone you can refill it with water and repeat the process one more time.
- Enjoy the beets as well as the drink!