Carrot Kale sauté a very light, nicely flavored and nutritious side dish that will go well with almost anything.
Kale sauté a very light, nicely flavored and nutritious side dish that will go well with Meatloaf or Pork Shoulder.
Health Benefits Of Kale
The nutrient density of kale is so impressive that it makes this green leafy vegetable a powerful healing food.
- Kale belongs to the cabbage family together with broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and like its relatives is high in anti-cancer and detoxifying sulfur-containing compounds.
- It’s carotenoid content is super high, especially beta-carotenes which is the main precursor of vitamin A.
- It is loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin, two nutrients that protect our eyes from oxidative stress from UV light.
- It is also very high on vitamin K and C.
- Kale has a high mineral content, especially calcium, and actually has more calcium than cow’s milk. In addition, kale’s calcium is 25% more absorbable than calcium from milk.
- Finally, kale is high in magnesium, a very important mineral that participates in hundreds of enzymatic reactions in the body, including relaxing muscles, calming us down, and balancing calcium out to prevent dangerous deposits of calcium in soft tissue.
Carrot Kale Sauté
Bunch kale, leaf only
1 carrot, julienned
1 onion, sliced lengthwise
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
1-2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet or frying pan, warm up the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until golden, about 5-10 minutes.
- With the help of a julienne peeler, cut the carrot into long matchsticks and add them to the pan together with ginger. Keep sautéing for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the soft part of the kale leaves from the stems, slice them and add to the pan. Sauté for a couple more minutes, sprinkle lemon juice, add salt and pepper and serve.