My Chocolate Bombs look and taste like a candy, sweet and chocolaty, but they are a balanced meal in one little ball!
Even though it looks and tastes like a candy, sweet and chocolaty, it’s a balanced meal in one little ball! My raw chocolate bombs have it all – healthy fats from coconut butter/oil, almonds and flaxseeds, fiber from flax meal and almonds, carbohydrates from honey and almonds, protein from almonds, minerals and antioxidants from cocoa powder. They contain several ingredients that qualify as Superfoods: cocoa powder, flax seeds, honey and coconut. These treats are very nutritious and make a great snack or a light desert, perfect with a cup of coffee or tea! Chocolate bombs is also a great recipe to make together with your kids. There are a couple similar recipes on my website for you to try: Chocolate Treats, Chocolate Chill Bars.
Health Benefits of Raw honey
- Raw honey is rich in minerals, enzymes, prebiotics and antioxidants.
- Most of the sugar in honey is in the form of simple sugars (monosaccharide), which are much easier to digest. In fact, it doesn’t require any digestion at all, but gets absorbed right away.
- Honey, unlike sugar, has strong antibacterial properties and has been used by humans as food and medicine for millennia.
- I recommend buying raw organic honey to eat and for use in recipes like this one. Be aware, however, that if you heat honey over 118 degrees the enzymes that make it such a Superfood will be ruined.
Health Benefits of Raw Cocoa
- Raw cocoa is highest in antioxidants than any other food on earth! Antioxidants protect our DNA and the integrity of cell membranes from free-radical damage.
- Cocoa is high in vitamin C as well as many minerals, especially iron and magnesium.
- It also contains significant amount of tryptophan, an amino acid needed for production of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that reduces anxiety and improves mood.
- Cocoa is a mild stimulant and might increase blood flow to the brain improving our cognitive function.
- Eat and use raw cocoa because once it is processed and heated, cocoa looses most of its health benefits. Raw cocoa is widely available online.
2 cups raw almonds
1 cup flaxseed meal
¼ cup coconut butter or/and oil, melted
3 Tbsp raw honey
¼ cup raw cocoa powder
cocoa powder or shredded coconut for garnish (optional)
- In a food processor pulse the almonds until you achieve a fine meal.
- Add the flax meal and cocoa powder and pulse together.
- Add coconut butter or oil and honey to the rest of the ingredients and blend until well incorporated.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball between your hands. Optional: roll the balls in cocoa powder and/or shredded coconut.
- Let the balls cool and harden in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Enjoy as a snack on its own, with coffee or tea, or as a dessert.