Creamy Mushrooms - Delicious Food and Medicine!
Mushrooms have been used for food and medicine for thousands of years. There are many ways to prepare them. For example you can eat some of them raw, you can lightly cook them on very hight heat. You can also stuff them and bake in the oven. This recipe is apart side dish, part sauce because the mushrooms are well cooked and so creamy! You can use any type of mushroom for this recipe.
Health Benefits Of Mushrooms
In addition to their high fiber, high protein and low calorie characteristics, mushrooms offer a variety of health benefits.
- They are a good source of selenium – a powerful antioxidant as well as a cofactor for many important enzymes. For example, selenium is needed for synthesis of the thyroid hormone.
- They are also one of the very few plant sources of vitamin D.
- Research shows that shiitake are a super food for our immune system because they nourish our white blood cells! They have antiviral, anti-tumor, and anticancer effects as well as helping to protect the liver and heart.
Health Benefits Of Onions
- Onions are valued for being exceptional antioxidants and cancer fighters.
- They also help lower blood pressure.
- They are high in sulfur compounds that make them “hot” and irritating to the eyes but give them many of their medicinal qualities.
- Onions are antibiotic and antiviral and helpful in combating colds and flus.
- They are also a great source of fiber, quercetin, folate and vitamin C.
7 cups rolled oats, gluten-free
2 cups of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, walnut pieces, almond slivers, etc.)
1 cup coconut slices, unsweetened
½ cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter if tolerated), melted
3-4 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 cup raisins or other dried fruit
- In a skillet or frying pan warm up the oil over medium heat, add the onion and sauté for 5-10 minutes, mixing regularly until golden brown. Be careful not to burn the onions.
- Meanwhile dice the mushrooms into medium pieces, about ½ inch. Then add them to the skillet and continue sautéing until the liquid most evaporates.
- Add the creamy sauce or sour cream, salt and mix well together. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and serve.