The flavors for sole fillet rolls with herbs, lemon zest and parmesan are inspired by Italian Gremolata.
The flavors for sole fillet rolls with herbs, lemon zest and parmesan recipe are inspired by Italian Gremolata. Sole has a delicate and delicious flavor. I always loved the taste of that fish but never enjoyed cooking it. Sole is a type of flatfish and its fillets are super thin. If you fry them in a pan they falls apart when you go to flip them over. If you bake them they fall apart when you transfer them to a plate. A disaster! So I was somewhat frustrated with the sole fillets until I found a genius solution. Actually, I have to pass the credit to the fishmonger at my local WholeFoods store. He advised me to roll the fillets up before cooking! I was very excites to test it out and it worked really well. Of course the flavor combination is all mine.
Health Benefits Of Parsley
Herbs in general are very dense in micro-nutrients. Use them fresh or dried in ample amounts for flavor and health benefits! Parsley in particular, is loaded with vitamin K and C. Its antioxidant content is very high, especially beta-carotenes, lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin. Antioxidants protect us from cell damage by free radicals, reduce cancer risks and premature aging. Parsley is also a well know diuretic and supports healthy kidney function. In addition, it’s a wonderful digestive aid. It reduces gas and bloating, helps stimulate the bowels. You can also use it to freshen your breath.
Health Benefits of Lemons
Lemons are remarkable fruits due to their strong sour taste. In fact, it’s enough to just think about ta juicy lemon to start salivating. Which points to lemon’s stimulating effect on digestion. In addition, lemons improve absorption of minerals, improve liver function and work as mild laxatives. When eating salads or cooking green leafy vegetables it’s a good idea to add some lemon juice because it is very high in citric acid. Most greens are high in oxalates, compounds that could form calcium oxalates and subsequent kidney stones. Lemons prevent that from happening and support kidney health.
sole fillet rolls with herbs, lemon zest and parmesan
10 sole fillets
1 bunch of parsley (or cilantro, or any fresh herb that you have handy)
Zest of 1 lemon
2-3 Tbsp parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
2 tsp of butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mince the herbs, so you end up with about 1/2 cup of minced herbs.
- Add salt and pepper. Use this lemon zester to finely grind both lemon skin and parmesan, add to the herbs and mix well.
- Spread a fillet and place about 1/10 of herb-parmesan mixture on top, along the whole fillet. Roll it up starting from the thicker end of the fish. Continue with the rest of the fillets.
- Then arrange the rolls in the oven-proof container. I used a 6 x 9 inch ceramic dish.
- Place butter pieces on top of the rolls. And transfer the dish into oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes.