Navy Beans Casserole is a very nourishing, filling and overall satisfying side dish.
Navy Beans Casserole is a very nourishing, filling and overall satisfying side dish. You can eat it warm or cold as a salad.
Why should we use dry beans and not canned?
- All brands with the exception of Eden Organic use cans lined with BPA, a toxic compound that has estrogen like-activity in the body and is an endocrine disruptor.
- Dry beans should be soaked before cooking and commercially cooked beans are not soaked. Why is soaking beans so important? Beans, grains and nuts all contain phytic acid, a special molecule for phosphorus storage. Phytic acid also binds to other mineral like magnesium, calcium, iron and zinc, making them unavailable to humans and animals with only one stomach. Phytic acid also inhibits digestive enzymes making it harder for us to digest proteins and carbs. Soaking activates the enzyme phytase also present in plants containing phytic acid. Phytase destroys phytic acid making mineral bioavailable for us and facilitating the digestion process.
- It’s cheaper to buy dry beans and cook them yourself. One pound of dry beans will make about six cup of cooked beans.
- Beans, when soaked and cooked correctly, the way our ancestors did it, are very nutritious. They are loaded with protein, minerals and complex carbs, including lots of fiber. Beans have been found to reduce risk of cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, colon cancer and some hormone-dependent cancers.
Navy Beans Casserole
- Soak the beans for 4-6 hours, or overnight, drain.
- In a big skillet over medium heat warm up the oil, add onions, celery and carrots and sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, chicken broth and beans, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 1.5-2 hours or until the beans are soft. Check the amount of liquid periodically. We want the beans to be covered with liquid for most of the cooking time.
- When the beans are almost ready, add garlic, salt and pepper, let simmer for just a couple of minutes more and turn off.
- Serve Navy Beans Casserole warm or cold with Rosemary Pork Shoulder, Meatloaf.